Dental implants are an effective method of restoring lost teeth.
Not only do they improve the aesthetics of your smile, but they are also very durable.
Nevertheless, to avoid complications and the need for surgical interventions, it is important to strictly follow the specialist’s recommendations.
Below you will find tips on care after dental implant implantation, developed by experts from Warsaw Detal Center.
Care after dental implant implantation:
- First 24 hours: After dental implant surgery, do not use oral hygiene fluids for the first 24 hours.
- Swelling and bruising: Swelling and bruising around the implantation site are normal.
Ice packs may help reduce swelling.
Disturbing symptoms should be reported to a specialist.
- Head position: In the first days after the procedure, it is recommended to position the head above the body line while sleeping.
- Avoiding heating: Avoid heating the implant area, for example by avoiding sleeping on the operated side or supporting your head with your hand.
- Avoiding touching: Do not touch the implant or the area around it.
- Smoking and alcohol: Smoking and drinking alcohol are prohibited for at least 7 days after the procedure.
- Oral hygiene: Within a few weeks after the procedure, especially in the first days, it is recommended to gently brush your teeth with a soft toothbrush and rinse your mouth with antibacterial fluids.
- Medicines: When prescribed medicines such as antibiotics or anti-inflammatory drugs, it is necessary to follow the recommended doses.
Dietary recommendations after implantation:
- Immediately after the procedure: You should not eat any food for the first two hours after the procedure.
Then, hot foods are avoided for 2 days and fluids in the form of cool meals are recommended instead.
- Avoiding certain products: It is recommended to avoid dairy products, carbonated drinks and alcohol in the first 48 hours.
Do not chew hard foods with the operated side facing forward for the wound to heal.
- Avoiding certain foods: Spicy foods may cause irritation around the implant and should be avoided until complete healing.
Physical exercise and activity:
- High exercise: For 7 days after the procedure, it is recommended to avoid intense physical exercise, lifting weights and bending.
- Swimming pool, sauna, solarium: It is also recommended to refrain from visiting the swimming pool, sauna and solarium until the swelling disappears.
When to contact your doctor:
- Disturbing symptoms: If severe pain persists after the procedure, swelling does not subside, the patient regains feeling at the site of surgery after more than 24 hours, experiences headache, heavy bleeding or other disturbing symptoms, you should immediately consult a dentist.
Check-up visit to the dentist:
- First check-up: The patient should make an appointment for the first check-up approximately 10 days after the procedure, during which the doctor will assess the healing progress and possibly remove the stitches.
- Regular visits: Once your health returns to normal, regular check-ups are recommended at least every six months to monitor the condition of the implant and the overall health of your oral cavity.
We would like to remind you that following the specialist’s instructions and choosing a reputable dental clinic, such as Warsaw Dental Center, can help ensure effective and safe care for dental implants.