Gingivitis is a problem that requires urgent attention and cannot be ignored while waiting for it to go away on its own.
Below I present the most common causes of this disease, its potential effects and methods of prevention and treatment.
Gingivitis – introduction
Gingivitis is one of the most common oral diseases, next to caries .
It does not appear suddenly, but is the result of a process that can last for years and requires early detection and treatment.
The causes may be aging, poor hygiene habits or general health .
It should be emphasized that gingivitis and periodontal disease have a negative impact not only on the health of the oral cavity, but also on the general condition of the body, which may contribute to problems such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis or osteoporosis , which is emphasized by
the need for immediate treatment.
Causes of gum inflammation
The main causes of gingivitis include:
- Bacterial infections – bacteria are a common cause of gum inflammation.
- Accumulation of tartar and bacterial plaque – tartar is one of the main causes of gingivitis.
Its removal is an important element of prevention.
- Improper oral hygiene – lack of proper oral care promotes the development of inflammation.
- Age – Older age may contribute to the occurrence of gingivitis.
- Smoking – smokers are more likely to suffer from gum problems.
- Systemic diseases – such as diabetes or eating disorders – may contribute to inflammation of the gums.
- Symptoms of gingivitis
Common symptoms of gingivitis include:
- Redness and swelling of the gums.
- Pulsation sensation and pain.
- Bleeding gums when brushing teeth.
- Bad breath.
- Formation of abscesses on the gums in the later stages of inflammation.
- Problems with eating due to sore gums.
- Looseness and loss of teeth in advanced cases
- Treatment of gingivitis
Treatment of gingivitis is based on the use of topical anti-inflammatory agents, usually in the form of a gel.
It is also important to remove tartar, which is a common cause of inflammation.
The tartar removal procedure is performed by the dentist using specialized tools.
If you are looking for professional care, it is worth considering a trusted clinic such as Warsaw Dental Center, where comprehensive treatments, including scaling, are offered by experienced staff.
Home methods to relieve gingivitis
Supportive home treatment includes the use of herbal mouthwashes and ready-made oral hygiene fluids.
They help alleviate the symptoms, but in cases of advanced inflammation, professional dental intervention is necessary.
Prevention of gingivitis
Preventing gingivitis requires taking into account the main risk factors, such as poor oral hygiene, smoking and dental tartar.
It is worth learning the correct tooth brushing techniques and adapting the type of toothbrush to your individual needs.
If you want to take care of the health of your gums, we recommend using the services of an experienced clinic such as Warsaw Dental Center, which specializes in, among others:
Effects of neglected gingivitis
Ignoring the symptoms of gingivitis is risky.
Not only does it cause pain and discomfort, but it can also lead to more serious consequences, such as periodontitis, which may result in tooth loss.
It is worth taking preventive measures and consulting a dentist in time to avoid complications.
- A. Kopeć et al., “Home and specialist prevention of the oral cavity”, Journal of Clinical Healthcare 1/2017.
- M. Józwik, Z. Kopański, “Periodontal diseases”, Journal of Clinical Healthcare 1 (2014).
- Jańczuk Z., “Periodontal morphology”, Practical clinical periodontology, Jańczuka Z, Warsaw; Wydawnictwo Kwintesencja 2004:11-13.
We encourage you to visit Warsaw Dental Center for professional periodontal and general oral hygiene care.